Monday, February 11, 2008

Valentine's Day update

Well, I thought it was about time for an update. I haven't made the most progress ever since my last post, but I thought the progress I had made was worthy of being displayed. The first two pics are of my almost completed chariot. This model has actually been a joy to construct, after some inital frustration, owing mostly to the vast amounts of silver and brown I had to paint. I really enjoyed painting the charioteers, and I think they look decent. I do struggle with flesh colored skin, and admitadly, my faces are ok, but honestly, I'll take ok at this point, b/c thats good for me. As you might have seen last time, I have begun construction on my second chariot. I have found that chariots are vital to run in pairs. Not only do they have a gian target on them, screaming, "Strength 7 weapons aim here" but with dark elves, you have the compounding factor of stupidity. Two chariots doesn't prevent stupidity, but it makes it more likely a chariot will hit a combat you want, even when the general isn't around. I have really enjoyed using my charoits with the dark elves, and I'm excited to get the other one up and running. more details to come.





This is my third and final unit of spearelves. I generally just use these guys to hold the line, and provide static combat resolution. I have found that combining them with a unit of flanking dark riders, is actually a fairly decent combat unit. Certainly its not going to overwhelm anyone, but they can hold their own, tying up units and even, occasionally, breaking someone. Throw a character into that combat and its actually a very powerful force. Not much was done to these guys from earlier photos, just some light touch-ups. Again, I'm not the best painter, nor did i feel the need to make these fellas look too good. The look fine all massed together though.


Here is my last Reaper Bolt Thrower crewman. Again, for some reason, of which I am still not entirely sure what it is, I decided to use new crew for one of my bolt throwers, and OOP crew for the other. Both bolt throwers are new though, since they look fantastic. I suppose the two different crew models will allow my bolt throwers to be placed side by side without there being much confusion as to which crew go with which thrower. Plus, despite the "blockier" appearence of the older models, I do like these crew models quite a bit.



Finally, the last picture is of my WIP progress space marines. I haven't built a 40k army in 6 years. This is sort of ironic b/c the first Warhammer army I ever completed (and the only one) was a 40K Ork warband in 2002. Not only that, but I love sci-fi mythos much more than fantasy, though I do enjoy both. There is just something about guns and swords I've always loved... i suppose its being reared on Star Wars instead of LoTR's. However, I just found that I really don't enjoy the game nearly as much as Fantasy. I have always believed the scale of 40k doesn't lend itself to the normal table size, and thus it sort of takes all the tactics out of it, unlike fantasy. However, the imagery is so sweet, I had to make a new marine army. So I going to try to do a really well painted, slowly created, Ultramarine 4th Co. force. (edit - I deleted the pic, so I'll have to post some more later. haha. sorry)

1 comment:

Mr. Driver said...

chariot crew look good. When is your goal for completion? Will you be all ready to do by Hillbilly? I think you can be. Do you need to buy any other units or do you have it all collected?